VET FEE-HELP is a federal government initiative effectively allowing students who are enrolled in higher-level vocational education and training (VET) to defer paying tuition fees until they are employed and earning a sufficient income. This assistance is available to students studying higher-level VET qualifications such as diplomas, graduate certificates and graduate diplomas at approved VET FEE HELP providers. It acts as a student loan either wholly or partially covering course fees, allowing you to commence study now and pay later. There is a VET FEE-HELP limit of $96,000 (In 2014) which is the maximum able to be borrowed over the course of your lifetime. This is plenty to get you on your way and the repayments will not commence until your earnings are greater than $53,345 (in 2014-15 year). Read up on the eligibility requirements below to see if this is an option for you.
- Australian citizen or permanent humanitarian visa holder (resident in Australia for the duration of the unit); AND
- have not exceeded the FEE HELP limit; AND
- meet course requirements as follows:
- are a full fee-paying / fee for service student studying a diploma, advanced diploma, graduate certificate or graduate diploma level course at an approved VET FEE-HELP provider; OR
- are a student subsidised by a state or territory government (other than the Australian Capital Territory) studying a diploma or advanced diploma course; OR
- are a student subsidised by the Victorian, South Australian, Queensland, Western Australian and New South Wales Government studying in a specified certificate IV course(nominated courses vary by state) as part of the Certificate IV Trial that concludes in December 2016; AND
- are enrolled with an approved provider in an eligible unit of study by the census date for that unit.
For more information please visit the government website http://studyassist.gov.au/sites/studyassist/helppayingmyfees/
FEE-HELP is similar to VET FEE-HELP allowing eligible students to pay all or part of their tuition fees. This type of government assistance is available to those studying Undergraduate and Postgraduate courses.